- Not all polymer is created equal, MacLean has an HTV (high temperature vulcanized) silicone rubber formulation that has been lab-tested and field-proven since 1984
- Our silicone is fully bonded to the corrosion-resistant E-Glass core and sealed with a Multi-Layer PST seal for optimal protection against water ingress
Our PST seal technology is a multi-layer sealing system that compresses the end fitting onto the rod while creating a water-tight seal, which significantly extends service life.Silicone Housing
Specially proven HTV silicone housing material maximizes hydrophobicity and minimizes maintenance needs such as pressure washing.Stacked Shed
Stacked Shed Design
A stacked shed design eliminates exposed silicone sheath in the high electrical stress area of the insulator, minimizing the potential for material aging.Corona Ball
Defense Against Aging
- Stacked shed design was implemented by MPS in 2002 after years of research and testing, research including a known IEEE paper “Aging of Non-Ceramic Insulators due to Corona from Water Droplets.” on the greater effort to improve the overall performance of silicone insulators in extreme environments.
- Through e-field modeling, we can validate the ideal application of the stacked sheds prior to field install, and see how our design fares vs older designs.
- MPS corona balls and smart fit corona rings provide protection against electrical and mechanical damage and prevent exposure of the core rod at the critical line end of the insulator.
- Smart Fit Corona Rings are designed in a manner where the ring will only fit one way on the geometric shape of the corona ball attachment feature, ensuring proper field installation.
- In the images below, see how easily the corona ring fits onto the corona ball, providing the additional protection the insulator needs